Sunday, May 25, 2008

Welcome

A book must be an ice-axe to break the seas frozen inside our soul. ~Franz Kafka

Welcome book club folks! Whether you’ve been with us from the beginning or joined us in recent months, I’d wager a guess that if you’re reading this blog, you can’t think of a better way to spend a Saturday morning than talking about a good book. When Nick invited me to participate two years ago, he stressed the club as a gathering of people who are committed to consistently reading the texts and coming prepared to contribute to the conversation. Over the twenty-four months we’ve been meeting, we’ve read books that we might never have considered otherwise and broadened our horizons through stimulating conversation. At a recent meeting, we discussed some ways that we can be more active in the workings of the club. The idea is that the more we each contribute to the book club experience, the more we’ll get out it. One of the ideas we came up with is this blog. The goal is to provide a venue for us to chronicle our meeting and continue the conversation. It also provides a way to check out what the club’s been up to if you’ve missed a meeting or two. Another great thing about this blog is that everyone should be able to post comments and contribute, so it’s not just me. Think of it as a continuation of our Saturday gatherings. This is my first attempt at blogging, so if anyone has any suggestions or ideas for me, send them my way. However, I hope you are all as excited as I am about blogging on our books. By the way, if any of you are wondering about the title of this blog, I sat staring at a blank box for a good five minutes waiting for something amazing and erudite to come to me. Bucks and Books is what I got instead. The Bucks comes from the fact our official meeting place is the Smyrna Starbucks, and the Books part should be pretty self-explanatory.

No comments: